Sunday, November 27, 2016

Challenges in Pursuing Study Habits for A Child with Autism (ASD)

Everyday is definitely a challenge for me and my husband. We encounter so many ordeals but it's really up to you if you let these challenges get you down or pull you up. One struggle that we usually encounter is during our study sessions. It takes about 3 hours before my son can understand most of the topics I'm discussing. I always make it a point not to frustrate him further if he has a hard time on a particular topic. The last thing I want is for him to hate studying. I want him to learn to enjoy our study habits so in the future he can be independent and learn to study on his own.
My son still has issues with reading. He still can't read long words or sentences but I think he's well on his way to understanding how letters are read bit by bit. I don't push him but allow him to take his time but we do this on a regular basis. I have learned to be patient and offer him encouragement in every opportunity. This way my son develops his self confidence and discover his potential at his own pace.
Some people who are not fully aware of children with autism, find it hard to understand the challenges that parents undergo. Some of our relatives don't understand and talk about stuff that may be hurtful to parents. We experience this with some of our family members. You know it's really hard but my husband and I never lost hope. We have faith in God and always ask for his guidance in every decision we make. I know that someday all our hard work coupled with love and understanding for our son will do him good.
Like I said in my previous article, we never expected for our son to achieve this much ever. For him to finally talk and learn to express himself and participate in school seemed like a dream years ago. But now, with God's help, we see a huge improvement in his behavior and development and we intend to continue our support and faith for him to reach his potential

No comments:

Post a Comment