Sunday, November 27, 2016

How your decision to work or study abroad affects your child with ASD?

I was actually planning to study in either Canada or New Zealand but after some research I found out that it was difficult for kids with autism to get a permanent residency abroad. I know it's really unjust and downright cruel but what can we do? It's their country and they have their policies to follow. Countries like New Zealand, Canada, Australia, etc. will require your kids to be able to communicate well in English before they are allowed to live there permanently. My son whose communication still needs a lot of help will surely be denied.

Life can be really nasty sometimes. These countries state that they don't have enough resources to address the needs of children with ASD. I doubt if this is true but like I said, what can I do? I guess my hopes for him is to improve his communication skills as he gets older and maybe someday he'll be able to study abroad himself. For now, I decided not to pursue studying or working abroad. We still have plans to travel abroad but purely for recreation. I believe it helps to expose your child with travel. It helps them adjust and be aware of the world around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment